Welcome to the ‘Do Monsters Dream’ Quest! Let your imagination go wild crafting your own mythical beast, or putting a spin on a classic monster to tell a story about what makes their heart beat.
The best stories will center around a monster or creature seeking some sort of acceptance or recognition. Have fun!
Monsters may look scary, but they also love, dream, and cry. But what or who do they love? What gets them up in the mornings (or nights)? What breaks their hearts?
Let your imagination go wild crafting your own mythical beast, or putting a spin on a classic monster to tell a story about what makes their heart beat.
The best stories will center around a monster or creature seeking some sort of acceptance or recognition. What if the fanged beast in the woods just desires a friend, a dragon wants to win a prestigious art competition, or the Loch Ness monster needs a job?
Stories can be fantasy, sci-fi, thrillers, romance, whimsy, cautionary tales, or many more, and can be based in our real world or secondary worlds. Have fun!
Are you noodling on a story idea? Comment a word at the end of this page to let us know!
How to enter
- Craft your story, get feedback from a couple of beta readers
- Post it on your blog or website!
- Post a link to your story here in the comments.
The top 10 stories will be published in a special, print-on-demand LegendFiction journal that you can share with friends and fans.
QUEST HOST: Citlalin Ossio
“I’m Citlalin Ossio, and I’ll be your host. As a host, I am here to help answer any questions you may have, give feedback where I can, and generally make this an enjoyable challenge for the LegendFiction Community. I’m a fantasy writer inspired by her Mexican heritage, The Legend of Zelda, anime and manga, Korean dramas, and of course, my faith.” Follow me on Instagram
How judging works
- The Quest host will review every entry shared in the comments on this page. The quest host will suggest top 10 best for the LegendFiction team to consider for publication in a print-on-demand journal.
- If we don’t have enough entries, or the entries don’t fit the quality we’re looking for, we will extend the deadline. This number may change – depending on the quantity and quality of entries!
- Your short story submission must be between 3000 to 4,000 words.
- All genres welcome.
- Ideally young adult fiction, not children’s stories, and no extremely mature content.
- No fan fiction. Your creative world may be similar to your favorite series, but must have original content.
- Contestant participants must be members of the LegendFiction community.
- All stories are subject to mentor review. We will select and review stories that best follow our content and contest guidelines.
Ready to begin?
Read these links to get oriented!